Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Week: March 22- April 4:

This week I would like to write about one of the central issues on my Floridiana paper. For the assignment, I read Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston. The theme in the novel that caught my attention was the man vs. nature struggle. In the novel, this theme is well depicted when a Hurricane passes thru the Florida Everglades and completely changes the lives of the characters.
Personally, I’ve lived thru various Hurricanes. Since I immigrated to Southwest Florida from Mexico, I’ve experienced close to six hurricanes. The most “memorable” ones being Andrew and Charley. It never ceases to amaze me how a peaceful and serene region like Southwest Florida can become a deadly place to inhabit when nature unleashes its fury.
Although nature provides for us all the necessary natural resources that we as humans need to survive, at times it can also provide us with a natural disaster capable of destroying humanity. I am not a meteorologist or geologist, however, I believe that this natural disasters that are currently occurring, are the product of nature attempting to heal itself form all the damage that we’ve caused. Just as our own bodies produce white blood cells capable of killing bacteria and viruses that could destroy our bodies; maybe, in the same way, nature is producing this natural disasters in order to cleanse it self from all the pollution and polluters. After all, the Earth is the most magnificent living organism that we know of.

No comments:

Post a Comment