After reading Mr. Orr’s “The Problem of Sustainability,” I would like to comment on the following question that he posses: “Is there knowledge for which we are unwilling or unable to take responsibility?” (Orr, pg. 100)
Yes; I personally believe that humanity is unwilling or unable to take full responsibility for Nuclear Energy. I do not think that humanity was ready to receive Einstein’s Theory of Relativity. Humanity turned something that could have help us solved our energy crisis, into the deadliest weapon mankind has ever witness and experienced. In this fact lies the difference between nature and humanity. Nature used nuclear energy to create the Sun, so that the Sun can provide all living things with energy. Humanity used nuclear energy to destroy itself.
I certainly do not think that Iran and North Korea are ready to take on the responsibility of possessing nuclear weapons. And I am certainly happy that the United States and Russia have decided to reduce their nuclear arsenal. I wish all the nuclear-armed nations of the world would have the decency to gather all their arsenals and sent them to the Sun to be destroyed.
Orr, David W., “The Problem of Sustainability,” from Ecological Literacy: Education and the Transition to a Postmodern World, in IDS 3920 University Colloquium: A Sustainable Future, (United States of America: Copley Custom Textbooks, 2009),100.
Wednesday, April 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment